This Week I:
1. Worked on editing my short story, “Snow”
2. Wrote a poem called Plastic Horses for my creative writing class
3. Discussed cannibalistic gods and creation myths in World Lit class
4. Learned why horses foam when they’re on the bit
5. Started writing a new short story
and, most importantly
6. Was named 2011 Junior Volunteer of the Year at Saddle Up!
I couldn’t imagine a bigger honor. My trophy is sitting on my desk right now, a little reminder that, no matter how small your effort, people appreciate it. Maybe that appreciation comes in the form of a trophy, a simple “thank you,” or a warm hash brown at seven on a cold Saturday morning (thanks, Caroline).
I can’t wait to go back to the barn tomorrow.